The stationary lead-acid battery is an important and the most dominating chemistry with revenues in billions of dollars in 2017. Telecom, data center, and UPS applications are driving the demand for efficient, cost-effective, reliable, and long-standing solutions. Lead-acid battery, with all its desirable features, including affordability and availability at any part of the world, makes it the most preferred chemistry globally. This chemistry is predominantly used for backup applications in data center, telecom, and UPS equipment. A consistent demand for these applications predicts global lead-acid battery market to witness a steady growth till 2022. The market is mainly driven by telecom and data center soluti
Investments in the utility sector, telecom infrastructure, and data centers happening in India, China, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Kenya, and Brazil boost the demand in addition to steady demand from the US, UK, Germany, France, and Italy. Increasing competition from the lithium-ion battery in many other stationary applications is challenging for market growth. However, availability of mass commercial unit volume production from global, regional, and local manufacturers, coupled with low OPEX, makes this chemistry capable of facing these challenges successfully.
The market trends have been analyzed for the study period of 2015–2022, with the base year being 2017. The study covers all of North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and the Rest of World. Sealed lead acid batteries are more widely used than flooded battery type. The study assesses lead-acid battery manufacturers globally and discusses the various market shares held by the companies in this market. Revenue contribution of lead-acid batteries for telecom, UPS, emergency lighting, security systems, renewable energy, railway backup, signaling, and other applications is discussed in detail. Companies that are listed in this study include EnerSys, Exide Technologies, East Penn, C&D Technologies, Hitachi, Coslight International, Exide Industries, GS Yuasa, Amara Raja, and China Shoto.
Key Issues Addressed
- Is the market growing, how long will it continue to grow, and at what rate?
- Which are the key end-user applications that use this battery extensively?
- What are the key industries supporting growth? Is there a difference in demand patterns across different countries?
- How will the structure of the market change with time? Is the market ripe for acquisitions?
- How does the demand pattern for different flow battery chemistries vary globally according to end-user applications?
- Are the vendors in this space ready to manage alone, or do they need partnerships to take their businesses to the next level?