Key Growth Opportunities in the UK include data sharing and interoperability, cloud, mobility, as well as further new investment in core health IT solutions to best meet the needs of providers in a changing market environment. However, the identification of these Growth Opportunities is only the first step towards succeeding as a vendor in this market. The real demystification lies in understanding very specific target-customer needs and then building a value proposition that addresses those needs.
UK, Germany, France and Spain collectively spend over $6 billion on healthcare IT and the regional HCIT adoption stands at almost 80%. The focus of key decision makers in the region will shift from healthcare IT solutions that can capture data to solutions that can enable data sharing and clinical decision support.
Between December 2016 and March 2017, Frost & Sullivan conducted a survey of IT managers from 198 hospitals across Western European countries. Findings of the survey were further investigated through in-depth discussions with market vendors and Frost & Sullivan industry thought leaders. Outcomes of the research have been collated into a 4-part series detailing the HCIT landscape across EU4 (The United Kingdom, Germany, France and Spain).
Our research found that in spite of a high level of EMR adoption only a little more than 15% of large hospitals share data beyond their organization. This has been a huge detriment to efficient and productive health data utilization across all countries included in this study. However, with changing care paradigms, such as focus on patient-centricity, innovation in care delivery models and the demand for workflow efficiency, improving health data continuity will be a key goal for both governments and providers over the next five years. As a result, interoperability, and standards development and adoption will be major priorities across health systems.
Overall, the healthcare IT market in the UK will be driven by eHealth initiatives, changing procurement landscape and emerging digital health platforms that increase collaboration between care segments, enable patient centricity, and encourage high resource utilisation at optimised costs.
Vendors will have to consistently demonstrate their core competence by offering hospitals sustainable business models, centred on improved connectivity, accessibility and interoperability of healthcare. Emerging technologies such as cloud, healthcare business intelligence and data analytics will be in demand.
This is only a sample of insights that you can gain through our research. Key questions answered in this study include:
• What are the current trends, challenges and drivers for healthcare IT investment?
• What will be the most promising growth opportunities and key investment areas over the next five years?
• How is health IT adoption evolving?
• What will be the impact and adoption of new technologies? How will these change current industry paradigms and/or bring in new business
• How are the initiatives at the national and the regional level for eHealth adoption impacting the market?
• What are the current vendor landscape and the tiers of competition in select segments (e.g., Total Health IT, EHR, PCIS)? How are they
expected to evolve over the next five years?
• What do healthcare providers expect when investing in healthcare IT and how has this evolved over the years?
• What is the forecast for hospital Health IT in the UK until 2021?
Table of Contents
Scope and Segmentation
Frost & Sullivan Hospital HCIT Survey—Respondents’ Profile
Growth Opportunities in the UK Healthcare IT Market
Market Analysis of Healthcare IT in the UK
Market Definition and Segmentation
Healthcare IT Market Analysis—Top 4 Markets in Europe
Macro-Level Trends Driving Care Delivery Transformation
Drivers for Healthcare IT Adoption in the UK
Healthcare IT Market Analysis––Adoption
Hospital Healthcare IT Market in the UK—Revenue Forecast
Primary Care HCIT Market in the UK—Major Trends
Government Initiatives Driving Healthcare IT Adoption in the UK
Overview of the Healthcare Landscape in the UK
Healthcare IT Landscape—Government Initiatives
Healthcare IT Landscape—Future Plans & Initiatives
Key Findings—Notable Vendor Activities
Key Vendors Overview—Tiers of Competition
Electronic Health Records—Market Share and Position
Primary Care Information System—Market Share and Position
ePrescribing/Pharmacy Information Systems (PhIS)—Market Share and Position
Strategic Imperatives for Healthcare IT Vendors in the UK
End-user Analysis—Hospital HCIT Usage and Adoption Trends
End-user Analysis—Adoption of Hospital HCIT Solutions
End-user Analysis—Hospital HCIT Budgeting Trends
End-user Analysis—Hospitals’ EMR Readiness
End-user Analysis—Future Trends on Replacement and Upgrades of IT Systems
End-user Analysis—Analyst Insight on the UK Hospital HCIT Market
The Last Word
Factors Influencing the Future of Healthcare IT in the UK
Key Conclusions and Recommendations
Relevant Frost & Sullivan Studies
Abbreviations and Acronyms Used
The Frost & Sullivan Story
List of Figures & Charts
1. Healthcare IT Market: Top 4 Markets, Western Europe, 2016–2021
2. Percentage Adoption of Healthcare IT Systems, UK, 2017
3. Total HCIT Market: Progression of HCIT, UK, 2017–2020
1. Total Healthcare IT Market: Frost & Sullivan Research Methodology, UK, 2017
2. Total Hospital HCIT Market: Frost & Sullivan Forecast Methodology, Western Europe, 2016
3. Total Hospital HCIT Market: Revenue Snapshot, UK, 2016 and 2021
4. Total Healthcare IT Market: Leading Vendors, UK, 2016
5. Total Hospital HCIT Market: Respondent’s Distribution by Region, Europe, 2017
6. Total Hospital HCIT Market: Respondent’s Distribution by Ownership, UK, 2017
7. Total Hospital HCIT Market: Respondent’s Distribution by Specialization, UK, 2017
8. Total Healthcare IT Market: Market Segmentation, UK, 2016
9. Hospital HCIT Market: Revenue Forecast, UK, 2016–2021
10. Healthcare System, UK, 2017
11. Healthcare IT Market: Key Vendors, UK, 2017
12. Healthcare IT Market: Major Vendors by Tiers of Competition, UK, 2017
13. Total Healthcare IT Market: EHR Major Vendors by Tiers of Competition, UK, 2016
14. Total Healthcare IT Market: EHR Market Share by Top Vendor, UK, 2016
15. Total Healthcare IT Market: PCIS Major Vendors by Tiers of Competition, UK, 2016
16. Total Healthcare IT Market: PCIS Market Share, UK, 2016
17. Total Healthcare IT Market: ePrescribing/PhIS Major Vendors by Tiers of Competition, UK, 2016
18. Total Healthcare IT Market: ePrescribing/PhIS Market Share, UK, 2016
19. Total Hospital HCIT Market: HCIT Solution Adoption by Hospitals, UK, 2017
20. Total Hospital HCIT Market: Percentage of Budget Allocated to IT Solutions, UK, 2017
21. Total Hospital HCIT Market: Expected Increase in Hospital HCIT Budget, UK, 2017
22. Total Hospital HCIT Market: EMR Readiness Across Hospital, UK, 2017