Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) can be leveraged to transform the production aspect and future potential of the automotive manufacturing business. While evolving technologies play a key role in fostering the automotive business, it becomes crucial for automotive manufacturers to stay connected in order to amalgamate different technologies like machine learning, Big Data, sensor data, machine-to-machine communication, and automation. This will make the best use of IIoT, which would in turn result in gaining a competitive edge and open new revenue streams for the auto makers in the market.
Primary factors, like boosting operational efficiency, increasing productivity, and reducing the complexity of process in the industry plays a vital role in the adoption of IIoT by auto makers. Industrial Internet strives to create a connected enterprise by combining the information and operation department of the production facility. Cognitive systems and real-time analysis can interpret data from systems and components to valuable insights, with which automotive manufacturers can use it to improve the reliability of their output. This not only ensures quality but also improves overall efficiency while supporting manufacturers in introducing new value-added services to customers.
Automotive manufacturers are implementing IoT concepts to create automated and seamless transactions in their production process by deploying sensors, initiate communication with multiple devices, and implant advanced analytics solutions to derive actionable insights. Auto makers need to take multi pronged approach to create relevant business model that embraces IoT-enabled capabilities. Apart from this, maintaining and updating complex systems from in-house/remote locations, possible cyber attacks over the connected networks, adhering to standards of local networks for bandwidth and latency, maintaining process integrity and IP protection, and making immediate investments in evolving technologies are possible challenges to IIoT adoption in a manufacturing facility. However, continuous monitoring of transformation needs would help the auto maker develop a proactive approach to overcoming these challenges.
Key Issues Addressed
- What are the various IIoT initiatives and how are the functional requirements best understood to implement IIoT? What are the prevailing market trends for IIoT across vertical and horizontal market?
- What is the plausible future agenda of IIoT bodies? Who are the key participants and what are their IIoT platforms? What does their analysis reflect about their suitability for product manufacturing?
- What is the system architecture comprised of and what are these different layers? How can end-to-end industrial architecture for IIoT applications be conceptualized?
- What does the road map for cloud adoption in manufacturing look like? What are the stages of industrial cloud adoption? How is the IIoT market penetration set to grow during 2016 to 2021?
- Security concerns are the number one barriers to cloud adoption. How is the industry trying to overcome this? Which regions are expected to dominate IIoT adoption?