This market insight aims to analyze how smart retail can impact retailers and their operations in the Asia-Pacific region and seeks to examine how the Internet of Things (IoT) is enabling Smart Retail and helping bring the digital experience into physical stores.
• Analyze services, solutions, case studies for in-store digitization
• Understand the importance of the in-store digitization journey from awareness to immersion
Physical retail stores are suffering because of the rise of e-commerce and the economics of last-mile logistics. In spite of this, physical stores remain the most important touchpoint for customers.
Today, technology has permeated our society. Mobility and the web are changing the way tech-savvy consumers buy. With the rise of social media and mobile devices, customers are increasingly incorporating digital transactions into their shopping experience. Habits like “webrooming” and “showrooming” are becoming more common. Today’s customers are not just going online or into stores to shop. They are shopping across omnichannels, ordering online, picking up in-store, as well as having items delivered to their homes.
To meet these changing customer needs, retailers must focus on bringing the digital experience into the physical store.
Enhancing in-store experience is key to bringing customers back to brick-and-mortar stores. The final frontier in digital and omnichannel retail is bringing the digital experience into physical stores.
Case studies examined in this study: Disney, Huk-Coburg, Rolls-Royce, Tesco Homeplus, Woolworths.
Key Questions this Study will Answer:
• Why do physical stores need to start on the journey to digitization?
• How are companies bringing the digital experience to the physical store?
• How can digitizing the physical store provide retailers with business insights and enable data-driven decisions?
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
Introduction and Overview of the Report
Mega Trends and Digital Transformation
What is a Mega Trend?
Impact of Mega Trends on Consumers
Overview of the Retail Sector
Introduction to Retail in the APAC Region
Global Retail Sector Market Size and Growth Rate
Grocery Retail Landscape in Key Regions
Clothing and Apparel Market Landscape
Retail Landscape in Taiwan
Retail Landscape in Singapore
Grocery Retail Landscape in Key Regions
Different Stages of Evolution Happening Today
Overview of Internet of Things
Defining the Internet of Things (IoT)
IoT Reference Architecture
IoT will Enable the Move Beyond Product and Component Sales
Changing Business Models
Evolution of New Business Models
Enabling New Ways of Conducting Business
Walt Disney World in Orlando
Transforming the Car Insurance Industry
Established Power by the Hour Model
Emerging Challenges Faced by the Retail Sector
Shopper Needs and Perception
How can Chief Marketing Officers Create Brand Advocates?
Today’s Retail Environment
Need to Change Decision-Making in Retail
Transformation of Physical Retail
Need to Move from Physical to Omnichannel
Must Optimize Customers’ Brand Experience
Drivers for Change in the Retail Sector
Common Customer Issues in the Store
Drivers for Shift to Smart Retail
Emerging Retail Experience
Evolution of Grocery Retail
Established Universe of Retail Solutions
Physical Store Solutions
In-store Analytics Enables Data-driven Decisions
Moving to More Interactive Customer Engagement
Smart Retail Use Cases
Grocery Shopping in the Subway
Supermarket Case Study
Conclusion and Summary
The Frost & Sullivan Story
List of Figures & Charts
1. Retail Sector: Revenue Forecast, Global, 2015–2019
2. Retail Sector: Percent Revenue by Region, Global, 2015
3. Retail Sector: Percent Revenue by Region, Global, 2019
4. Retail Sector: Percentage Change per Year, Global, 2016–2019
5. Retail Sector: Year-on-Year Spending Growth, APAC, 2015–2019
6. Retail Sector: Market Share of Modern Brick-and-Mortar Retail Stores, Global, 2016
7. Clothing and Apparel Market: Revenue Forecast, Global, 2015–2019
8. Clothing and Apparel Market: Breakdown by Consumer Types, Global, 2016
9. Clothing and Apparel Market: Percent Revenue by Region, Global, 2015
10. Clothing and Apparel Market: Percent Revenue by Region, Global, 2019
11. Retail Sector: Percent Revenue Breakdown by Type of Grocery Retailers, Taiwan, 2016
12. Retail Sector: Percent Revenue Breakdown by Type of Grocery Retailers, Singapore, 2016
13. Retail Sector: Industry Evolution, Global, 2016