The Southeast Asian total industrial water and wastewater treatment (WWT) market is considered to be at the growth stage, with varied development stage across countries in the region. Cumulatively, the total industrial WWT market is forecast to grow below 10% CAGR from 2015 to 2020. By 2020, the market revenue will exceed $4 billion. Indonesia is the largest market, but the Philippines will register the fastest growth over the forecast period. During the same period, food and beverage (F&B) industry will remain the largest and fastest growing end-user group for the market
Nonetheless, industrial growth remains as the revenue pillar for WWT market participants. The market is likely to expand beyond $5 billion by 2024. In addition, market participants are looking at future horizontal opportunities, notably biomass power equipment in palm oil industry.
This study focuses on three broad segments, namely:
1. Water Treatment Equipment
2. Wastewater Treatment Equipment
b. Primary Treatment
c. Secondary Treatment
d. Tertiary Treatment
3. Water and Wastewater Services
a. Design and engineering
c. Scheduled maintenance and part replacements (excluding ad hoc maintenance and repairs)
Drivers and restraints are discussed in each of the three main market segments. In addition, market forecast of total market revenue until 2020 is presented.
Market revenue is also segmented by water treatment and wastewater treatment. Breakdown by end-user groups is also shown for both water and wastewater segments. End-users covered in this study include F&B, electrical and electronics (E&E), power, automotive, and palm oil. Currently, industrial water treatment is the largest segment; there is a gradual shift of importance from industrial to wastewater treatment in Southeast Asia.
F&B is considered the most resilient industry during an economic downtime. Though, food production continues to be in high demand, manufacturers are striving to reduce production cost while maintaining standards and quality.
In addition to the above, this study also features the key and emerging market trends in Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.
Key Questions This Study Will Answer:
1. What is the growth rate for the industrial WWT market in Southeast Asia?
2. How is this market growing by country segments and end-user segments? What are some of the key success factors?
3. What are the key drivers and restraints affecting the market?
4. What are the specific opportunities for market participants to remain relevant in the competitive market?
5. How are alternative business propositions benefiting market participants?
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
Total Market Analysis
Increasing demand for industrial process water
Legislation and country-specific regulations
Technology development, especially membrane technology
Growing awareness about circular economy
Expansion and retrofit of treatment plants
Inconsistent government enforcement and monetary support
The capital-intensive nature of treatment plants
Unapparent or low effluent fees on wastewater discharge
Revenue Forecast by Treatment Segment
Percent Revenue Forecast by End User
Revenue Forecast by Country
Country Market Analysis
Growth Opportunities and Companies to Action
Transformation in Top 3 IWWT End-user Ecosystem—E&E Industry
Transformation in Top 3 IWWT End-user Ecosystem—Palm Oil Industry
Transformation in Top 3 IWWT End-user Ecosystem—F&B Industry
Growth Opportunity 1—Industrial Growth of Southeast Asia
Growth Opportunity 2—Expansion Into Horizontal Services
2 Major Growth Opportunities
Strategic Imperatives for Industrial WWT Providers
The Frost & Sullivan Story
List of Figures & Charts
1. Total Industrial WWT Market: Key Market Drivers, Southeast Asia, 2016–2020
2. Total Industrial WWT Market: Key Market Restraints, Southeast Asia, 2016–2020
3. Industrial WWT Treatment Market: Relative Importance of Competitive Factors, Indonesia, 2015
4. Industrial WWT Market: Relative Importance of Competitive Factors, Malaysia, 2015
5. Industrial WWT Market: Relative Importance of Competitive Factors, Philippines, 2015
6. Industrial WWT Market: Relative Importance of Competitive Factors, Singapore, 2015
7. Industrial WWT Market: Relative Importance of Competitive Factors, Thailand, 2015
8. Industrial WWT Market: Relative Importance of Competitive Factors, Vietnam, 2015
1. Total Industrial WWT Market: Revenue Forecast, Southeast Asia, 2015–2020
2. Total Industrial WWT Market: Revenue Forecast by Treatment Segment, Southeast Asia, 2015–2020
3. Industrial Water Treatment Market: Percent Revenue by End-user Type, Southeast Asia, 2015–2020
4. Industrial Wastewater Treatment Market: Percent Revenue by End-user Type, Southeast Asia, 2015–2020
5. Total Industrial WWT Treatment Market: Percent Revenue Forecast by Country, Southeast Asia, 2015–2020