Automotive manufacturers are currently focusing on building fully connected and completely autonomous vehicles, as drivers expect next-generation digital technologies in their cars. As autonomous and connected technologies go hand-in-hand in building efficient self-driving cars, connected car technologies will create a drift in the automotive ecosystem to help automakers make a seamless shift from semi-autonomous driving to fully autonomous driving in the future. In order to match the market expectation, OEMs’ objective is to build cars that can change the form and function, as opposed to what is being offered now. Moreover, in the race to reduce the carbon footprint, OEMs are focusing on unique, customized s
This study analyzes Research & Development data from the annual reports and 10-K reports of 5 global automotive OEMs. It benchmarks these 5 OEMs against 20 key performance indicators.
The KPI are based on total units sold, total revenue generated, R&D expenditure, R&D expenditure in terms of basic research, advanced research and product development, total employee head count, number of engineering locations, nameplates sold, vehicle platforms sold, number of manufacturing plants, number of patents filed, part commonality, development timeline. The KPIs are analysed and key takeaways are provided for each one of them.
This research can help OEMs identify where they are placed with respect to other global players and for suppliers to understand the research expenditure spent by major OEMs.
Key Issues Addressed
- How do the select OEMs perform against each other in terms of R&D performance - total revenue, research expenditure, employee count?
- What is the focus of OEMs in terms of research expenditure? Basic, Advanced and Product Development
- How many units have been sold with respect to R&D employees? How many units per vehicle platforms? Units using the same nameplate?
- How any vehicles from the select OEMs have received Top Safety Pick from IIHS?
- How are select OEMs placed in OEM-Supplier Working Relations Index?