This research service analyzes the Virtual Power Plant (VPP) market by end users (demand management, power trading), region (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest-of-world), trends, and revenue forecast till 2022. VPP promises significant improvements in grid reliability and resilience and early adoption has taken place in Western Europe and North America. This research service hopes to solve issues around peak power demand and facilitate the adoption of distributed energy resources. This study also discusses key trends and analyzes the implemented business models (supply-side, demand-side, and mixed-asset models) for VPP across the globe. Additionally, there is also focus on the top participants in the global market such as ABB, Next Kraftwerke, Siemens, VPP Intelligent Energy, Enbala Power Networks, and AutoGrid, Viridity Energy. The study also discusses the growth opportunities for companies in the global VPP market along with strategic imperatives for success and growth for the companies.
Key Questions this Study will Answer
• What are the top trends that will drive the VPP market in 2017? What impact will these trends have on the market during the forecast period?
• What are the key industry trends propelling the adoption of VPP solutions globally?
• What was the size of the total VPP solutions market in 2016 and how is it expected to grow in 2017 and where will it be by 2022?
• Who are the key stakeholders in the market?
• What are the future prospects and growth opportunities for VPP vendors?
VPP solutions aggregate all the distributed energy resources along the grid. Traditional utility business models are likely to be disrupted due to growing Distributed Energy Resources (DERs) along the grid. A number of different vendors together contribute to the value chain of a VPP system. These include solar Photovoltaic (PV) companies, battery storage providers, wind turbine manufacturers, demand response companies, software solution providers, communication vendors, and building energy management solution providers.
The study period is from 2016 to 2022, with 2016 as the base year. The forecast period is from 2017 to 2022. Frost & Sullivan’s revenue estimation represents only the software component of the virtual power plant solution and does not include power-plant systems such as PV panels, wind turbines, fuel cells, batteries, and other components. Market information for the base year has been obtained from both primary and secondary research data and analyses. Key trends and information on market size, tiers of competition, and other variables are based on discussions with key industry stakeholders in the value chain.
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
Definition of a Virtual Power Plant
Conceptualizing a VPP
Differences Between MGs and VPPs
Types of VPP
Why VPP?—When the Wind Stops
Associated Multimedia and Related Research
Key Factors Drive Adoption of Virtual Power Plants
Network Congestion and Bottlenecks
Increasing Peak Load Prices
Growing Distributed Energy
Rise of Operational Analytics
Lack of Willingness to Share Information
Forecasts and Trends
Revenue Forecast—VPP Market
VPP Usage by End Users
Market Share and Competitive Analysis
VPP Competitive Tier Analysis
The VPP Ecosystem
VPP Business Models for Utilities
VPP Business Model—Supply Side
VPP Supply Side Case Study—Siemens and RWE
VPP Business Model—Demand Side: Using DR for Enabling VPP
VPP Demand Side Case Study—Blue Pillar
VPP Business Model—Mixed Asset: Combining Demand and Supply Side
VPP Mixed Asset Case Study—Green Charge
Growth Opportunities and Companies to Action
Growth Opportunity 1—Internet of Things (IoT) Enabled Products
Growth Opportunity 2—Data Analytics and Cloud
Strategic Imperatives for Success and Growth
The Last Word
3 Big Predictions
Additional Sources of Information on Smart Plant
List of Figures & Charts
1. VPP Market: Differences Between MGs and VPPs, Global, 2016
2. VPP Market: Adoption Trends, Global, 2016–2022
3. Market: Competitive Structure, Global, 2016
4. VPP Market: VPP Business Models, Global, 2016
1. VPP Market: Market Structure, Global, 2016
2. VPP Market: VPP Types Based on Structure, Global, 2016
3. VPP Market: Key Driving Factors, Global, 2017–2022
4. VPP Market: Region-wise Grid Challenges, China, 2016
5. VPP Market: Wholesale Electricity Price, Europe, 2010–2030
6. VPP Market: Renewables Installed Capacity by Region, Global, 2015 and 2016
7. VPP Market: Total Installed Capacity by Energy Storage Technology by Region, Global, 2014 and 2016
8. VPP Market: Analytics Evolution, Global, pre 2010–post 2015
9. VPP Market: Revenue Forecast, Global, 2016–2022
10. VPP Market: Percent Revenue by End Users, Global, 2016
11. VPP Market: Regional Outlook, Global, 2016
12. VPP Market: Attractiveness of Regional Markets, Global, 2016
13. VPP Market: Revenue Forecast by Region, Global, 2016–2022
14. VPP Market: VPP Vendors and Projects by Region, Global, 2016
15. VPP Market: Tiers of Competition, Global, 2016
16. VPP Market: VPP Ecosystem, Global, 2016
17. VPP Market: VPP Business Models, Global, 2016
18. VPP Market: Blue Pillar Case Study, Global, 2016