South Africa’s multidisciplinary construction industry accounts for a significant proportion of economic growth. This is evident in the country’s GDP as the industry is currently in a challenging cycle following the ongoing pressure on margins, decreased revenues, and struggling order books. However, the upward trend seen in certain segments of the industry experienced in 2017 is attributed to an increase in regional construction projects, recovery of certain commodity prices as well as increasing demand in the commodities market, an improving global construction market, and lastly, favourable exchange rates. The South African construction industry is encouraged to take advantage of new technologies disrupt
This analysis addresses opportunities, challenges, and key drivers and restraints in the market. This study focuses on the following market segments:
- South African construction market
- Construction technology market
- Green construction market
- Green procurement market
- Construction and mining capital equipment market
- Cement market – particularly the green cement market.
The study period is from 2015 to 2022, with a base year of 2017 and a forecast period of 2018 to 2022.
- Provide an overview of the total market size and expected growth between 2018 and 2023.
- Offer insight into the key drivers and restraints and their degree of impact over the next 5 years.
- Present market forecasts for the total market from 2015 to 2022.
- Provide an overview of the market, technology, and construction material trends over the next 5 years.
- Highlight the key growth opportunities.
Key Issues Addressed
- Who are the major participants within the local construction market?
- What key factors are affecting market dynamics? What are the drivers, challenges, and business risks?
- What are some of the most promising, high-growth opportunities for the local construction industry?
- What are the emerging trends in the industry?
- What are the key market restraints within the industry and their impact over the next 5 years?
- What technologies and technological trends will have the greatest impact on the market?
Lastly, it is predicted that the construction industry will experience the following:
- Green construction and green building materials, such as green cement, will see a significant boost in market revenue and will become one of the fastest-growing market segments between 2020 and 2030.
- Industry participants should focus on establishing strategic partnerships among suppliers, (cement) manufacturers and technical firms to optimise market penetration through improved technology and expertise baseline.
- There will be a significant increase in the implementation of higher efficiency in renewable energy, innovation in modular construction methods, and a strong adoption of optimisation technologies.
Author: Justin Malherbe