The share of natural gas in the total energy mix is expected to increase from 22% in 2015 to 24% by 2030. With natural gas having significant benefits over other fossil fuels like oil and coal, it has huge potential to build a resilient and sustainable future in the global energy demand. While globally the demand for natural gas is uncertain, the development of unconventional resources, specifically led by the US, has bolstered the supply of natural gas. While the US is already a matured country in terms of exploration of unconventional resources, other regions like the Middle East, Africa, Latin America and Asia-pacific are still at the development stage and would be prominent players in the near future.This study aims to analyze and forecast the global unconventional gas outlook for 2017.
• Market trends (current global natural gas production, future production growth, demand analysis, current share of unconventional resources, future growth in unconventional production)
• Regional trends (Europe, North America, China, Middle East, Africa, India)
• Mega trends driving the demand for natural gas and its production growth
• Key future growth markets and their role in the overall development of unconventional resources.
Market measurements are analyzed from 2016 to 2030 with 2016 as base year. The global unconventional gas resource market is analyzed based upon the resource type – namely conventional, shale gas, tight gas, and CBM. The supply growth in each of this segment is forecast till 2030. Various regional and global drivers and restraints are drawn upon and analyzed to arrive at a forecast. A forecast for all the four types of unconventional resources is also calculated for each region considered in this study. The mega trends impacting the growth of unconventional gas are covered to give an overall perspective of the industry. A demand-side analysis is conducted for end-user segments like industrial, transportation, residential and commercial, and electric power. Key growth countries are identified and a deep-dive analysis is performed for these countries to ascertain the potential for exploration and growth of unconventional gas resources.
Key questions this study will answer are as follows.
1. What is the current state of the natural gas industry? Which are the emerging regions for unconventional natural gas production?
2. What are the end-user sectors for natural gas? Which end-user sector will experience the highest demand for natural gas in the future?
3. What are the megatrends driving the growth of unconventional gas?
4. Which regions/countries offer the highest potential for future growth of the unconventional resources market? What will be their share by 2030?