Global OEM Strategies for Electric Medium- and Heavy-Duty Truck Platforms

Global OEM Strategies for Electric Medium- and Heavy-Duty Truck Platforms

Dedicated Electric Platforms Set to Ensure Transformational Growth of the NA and European M&HD Truck Market by 2030

RELEASE DATE
07-Nov-2022
REGION
North America
Research Code: PDA9-01-00-00-00
SKU: AU02431-NA-MT_27086
AvailableYesPDF Download

$4,950.00

Special Price $4,455.00 save 10 %

In stock
SKU
AU02431-NA-MT_27086

$4,950.00

$4,455.00save 10 %

DownloadLink
ENQUIRE NOW

Description

OEMs in the electric truck space are currently pursuing two types of platforms: one based on the internal combustion engine (ICE) platform and the other on a dedicated electric platform. Established OEMs are primarily pursuing the former, while most new-age pure-play EV start-ups prefer the latter; however, established OEMs are also simultaneously working on dedicated electric platforms which will be out on roads only after 2025.

Battery placement and electric motor architecture are the most important design elements in an electric truck platform. Many models use the battery-on-the-side and the battery-in-the-middle designs in existing ICE platforms; however, the battery-on-the-bottom design—suitable for a skateboard platform—will come into use after 2025. As far as motor architecture is concerned, most of the models use central drive motors, while some use eAxles: eCarrier and eCrown. The eAxle: Wheel Hub (two motors each at the rear wheels), an advanced architecture, will come into use in another 2 to 3 years.

The penetration rate of electric trucks in both North America and Europe is expected to be 45.3% by 2030, with 70% of that volume set to use eAxles, while the remaining 30% use centrally driven motors. All the leading OEM groups—Daimler, Volvo, Traton, and Paccar—are anticipating 25%–35% of their new truck sales to be electric by 2030.

Key Issues Addressed

  • What are the major truck OEMs doing in the electrification space?
  • Which are the up and coming new-age pure-play electric truck companies?
  • What are the various battery placement and electric drivetrain architectures?
  • What is the penetration of electric trucks in overall sales in the future?
  • What will be the penetration rate of electric-platform-based trucks in the overall OEM sales by 2030?

Author: Marshall Martin

 

RESEARCH: INFOGRAPHIC

This infographic presents a brief overview of the research, and highlights the key topics discussed in it.
Click image to view it in full size

Table of Contents

Why Is It Increasingly Difficult to Grow?

The Strategic Imperative 8™

The Impact of the Top 3 Strategic Imperatives on the Truck Industry

Growth Opportunities Fuel the Growth Pipeline Engine™

Research Scope

Market Segmentation

Platform: Definition and Components

Platform Types Comparison

Platform Battery Placements

Main Platform Component Technology Roadmap: MD Truck

Main Platform Component Technology Roadmap: HD Truck

Drivetrain Architecture

OEMs: Drivetrain Architecture Mapping

OEMs: Drivetrain Architecture Mapping (continued)

Drivetrain Architecture Roadmap

Daimler: M&HD Truck Platforms and Models

Daimler: Key Platform Details and Plans

Daimler: Regional and Application Presence

Daimler: Truck Platform Specs

Volvo: M&HD Truck Platforms and Models

Volvo: Key Platform Details and Plans

Scope of Analysis

Scope of Analysis

Traton: M&HD Truck Platforms and Models

Traton: Key Platform Details and Plans

Traton: Regional and Application Presence

Traton: Truck Platform Specs

Paccar: M&HD Truck Platforms and Models

Paccar: Key Platform Details and Plans

Paccar: Regional and Application Presence

Paccar: Truck Platform Specs

BYD: M&HD Truck Platform Details

BYD: Regional And Application Presence

BYD: Truck Platform Specs

Nikola: M&HD Truck Platform Details

Nikola: Regional and Application Presence

Nikola: Truck Platform Specs

Hyzon: M&HD Truck Platform Details

Hyzon: Regional and Application Presence

Hyzon: Truck Platform Specs

EV Model Platforms and Drivetrain Architecture

EV Models Application Spread

EV Models Application Spread (continued)

EV Models Application Spread (continued)

Urban Delivery: Battery and Range

Urban Delivery: GVWR and Motor

Regional Haul: Battery and Range

Regional Haul: GVWR and Motor

Refuse/Utility: Battery and Range

Refuse/Utility: GVWR and Motor

Long Haul: Battery and Range

Long Haul: GVWR And Motor

Truck Model Launch Timeline

Truck Model Launch Timeline (continued)

M&HD Truck Sales and EV Penetration

Drivetrain Architecture Penetration

Estimated Electric Platform Penetration by OEM

Electric Platform Penetration by OEM

Growth Opportunity 1: Development of Dedicated Electric Platform for Trucks

Growth Opportunity 1: Development of Dedicated Electric Platform for Trucks (continued)

Growth Opportunity 2: Collaboration on BEV and FCEV Technologies for Trucks

Growth Opportunity 2: Collaboration on BEV and FCEV Technologies for Trucks (continued)

Growth Opportunity 3: Requirement for High Level Charging Capabilities for Trucks

Growth Opportunity 3: Requirement for High Level Charging Capabilities for Trucks (continued)

Abbreviations and Acronyms

Your Next Steps

Why Frost, Why Now?

List of Exhibits

Legal Disclaimer

OEMs in the electric truck space are currently pursuing two types of platforms: one based on the internal combustion engine (ICE) platform and the other on a dedicated electric platform. Established OEMs are primarily pursuing the former, while most new-age pure-play EV start-ups prefer the latter; however, established OEMs are also simultaneously working on dedicated electric platforms which will be out on roads only after 2025. Battery placement and electric motor architecture are the most important design elements in an electric truck platform. Many models use the battery-on-the-side and the battery-in-the-middle designs in existing ICE platforms; however, the battery-on-the-bottom design—suitable for a skateboard platform—will come into use after 2025. As far as motor architecture is concerned, most of the models use central drive motors, while some use eAxles: eCarrier and eCrown. The eAxle: Wheel Hub (two motors each at the rear wheels), an advanced architecture, will come into use in another 2 to 3 years. The penetration rate of electric trucks in both North America and Europe is expected to be 45.3% by 2030, with 70% of that volume set to use eAxles, while the remaining 30% use centrally driven motors. All the leading OEM groups—Daimler, Volvo, Traton, and Paccar—are anticipating 25%–35% of their new truck sales to be electric by 2030.--BEGIN PROMO--

Key Issues Addressed

  • What are the major truck OEMs doing in the electrification space
  • Which are the up and coming new-age pure-play electric truck companies
  • What are the various battery placement and electric drivetrain architectures
  • What is the penetration of electric trucks in overall sales in the future
  • What will be the penetration rate of electric-platform-based trucks in the overall OEM sales by 2030

Author: Marshall Martin

 

More Information
Author Marshall Martin
Industries Automotive
No Index No
Is Prebook No
Podcast No
WIP Number PDA9-01-00-00-00