The key objective of this research study is to understand the dynamics of the utility-scale, grid-connected battery-based energy storage systems (BESS) market for utility applications. The geographic scope of the study includes South Asia (India and China), Southeast Asia (Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, and Myanmar), East Asia (Japan, Taiwan, and South Korea), and ANZ (Australia and New Zealand).
The Asia-Pacific grid-connected battery based energy storage systems market is forecast to record a CAGR of less than 30% from 2016 to 2021. Further along the forecast period, the key countries that are expected to see strong growth opportunities are China, Japan, Korea, and Australia.
BESS are adopted across the utility value chain across generation, transmission, and distribution to the end-user level, where behind-the-meter energy management practices are taken care of by storage. The applications for BESS range from electric energy time-shift, electric supply capacity at the generation side to transmission support, congestion relief, deferral, substation on-site power at the T&D side. Battery energy storage manufacturers will need to focus more on the modularity of the product with an ability to withstand higher temperatures and work under extreme physical conditions.
This study focuses on the following important elements under the five broad battery chemistries that are used in the application of large-scale grid-connected energy storage systems:
• Flow battery
Drivers and restraints are discussed for the overall BESS market. The top predictions—until 2022—for the global smart grids market have also been presented.
The following are the key questions that this study will answer:
• What is the current status of the BESS market? What are its immediate and future prospects?
• What are the key growth opportunities in the BESS market that are likely to help market participants stay relevant? What steps should a BESS
• What will be the potential BESS market size in 2021? What are the key factors that will drive the market to continue to stay relevant until 2021?
• Which is the most attractive range among the lithium-ion, sodium, nickel, lead acid, and flow battery chemistries in the market? Which are the
ones that are likely to continue to reap benefits until 2021?
• What are the major factors hindering business development opportunities for BESS manufacturers?
• Which country in the region is said to have a strong growth potential for BESS power systems in the long run?
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
CEOs’ Perspective—BESS Market
Key Objective and Geographic Scope
Technology Adoption across the Utility Value Chain
APAC Grid Architecture—A Combination of European and NA Models
Influence of the Physical Grid Infrastructure on BESS
Battery Chemistries in Asia-Pacific
Top Markets in 2016—Asia-Pacific
Drivers and Restraints
Forecasts and Trends
BESS Projects—Operational, Announced, and Under-construction
Key BESS Projects
Projects in Focus—China
Projects in Focus—India
Projects in Focus—Australia
Projects in Focus—Japan
Projects in Focus—South Korea
Policies and Regulations
China—Market Overview and Policy Developments
India—Market Overview and Policy Developments
Japan—Market Overview and Policy Developments
South Korea—Market Overview and Policy Developments
Australia—Market Overview and Policy Developments
Value Chain Analysis
BESS Value Chain Map
Key Stakeholders in the Value Chain
BESS Competitive Landscape
Competitive Analysis of Top BESS Companies
Emerging Business Models, Partnerships, and Notable Investments
Emerging Business Models
Partnerships and Notable Investments
Growth Opportunities and Companies to Action
Growth Opportunity 1—Innovating to Zero Faults
Growth Opportunity 2—Emerging Applications and Models
Growth Opportunity 3—Strong Command in Utility Business
Strategic Imperatives for Success and Growth
The Last Word—3 Big Predictions
The Frost & Sullivan Story
List of Figures & Charts
1. BESS Market: Battery Chemistry Analysis, Asia-Pacific, 2016
2. BESS Market: Key Market Drivers, Asia-Pacific, 2017–2021
3. BESS Market: T&D Infrastructure Spending, Asia-Pacific, 2016
4. BESS Market: Key Market Restraints, Asia-Pacific, 2017–2021
5. BESS Market: Profiles of Recent Projects, Asia-Pacific, 2016
6. BESS Market: Competitive Landscape, Asia-Pacific, 2016
1. BESS Market: Key Findings, Asia-Pacific, 2016
2. BESS Market: Battery Chemistries, Asia-Pacific, 2016
3. BESS Market: Installed Capacity Forecast, Asia-Pacific, 2016–2021
4. BESS Market: Revenue Forecast, Asia-Pacific, 2016 and 2021
5. BESS Market: Cost of Battery Technology, Asia-Pacific, 2016
6. BESS Market: Value Chain Analysis, Asia-Pacific, 2016