This study provides an overview of the opportunities in the global medium heavy-duty electric truck market in the period 2016–2025. The study reveals that the Chinese electric truck market will be the global electric medium heavy-duty truck leader and is expected to be dominated by fully electric trucks with 61.1% market share, followed by plug-in hybrid with 28.5% and hybrid with 10.4%, by 2025. New energy powertrain adoption is likely to increase, especially among medium-duty and heavy-duty trucks in China which is mainly dominated by new trucks models. The North American electric truck market is expected to be dominated by fully electric trucks with 53.3% market share, followed by plug-in hybrid with 30.7%
Growing penetration of electric and hybrid powertrain technologies in commercial vehicles, especially within city limits, will drive the demand for new types of drivelines. eAxles and motors mounted adjacent to wheel hubs are new technologies that are gaining traction in heavy-duty trucking applications. Battery prices have decreased by about 50% since 2010 and are expected to further decrease by 50% in the next 4 to 6 years. In batteries, Lithium sulfur is likely to be adopted as the next battery chemistry; however, advancement in lithium-ion technology will be seen.
Key Issues Addressed
- What are the current and future market trends of the electric truck market?
- How will the market transform into by 2025 in terms of the geographic growth?
- What will be the downstream implications for electric truck drivetrains in trucks?
- Which models are likely to be launched in the next 2 or 4 years?
- What will be the technological and affordability trends of electric powertrain components like batteries, motors, and charging systems?